Home > Old Photos > Dave Atkins Collection

Old Photographs of Rolls-Royce,
Derbyshire, England

This page features old pictures supplied by Dave Atkins and Rob Chambers.

These photographs must be viewed at a screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater due to the large size.
I would like to thank Dave Atkins, Robert Chambers and Rolls_Royce for allowing the world to see these images and for their great efforts in collecting additional historical information about them.

The Rolls-Royce OED office building is still in use today. It was originally built after the second world war, and in 1951 the 'Oil Engine Division' (hence OED) moved into them from Clan Foundry, Belper. In the factory behind, Rolls-Royce Oil engines were produced (old fashioned name for diesel engines), ranging from 60 - 600 b.h.p (break horse power). These engines were used in a number of vehicles ranging from: Vickers VR.180 Tractor Model 18C, Scammell Constructor with Cement Trailer, Canadian Fishing Boat, Dennis Fire Engine, Canadian Hayes Logging Truck, to name but a few.
In 1956 the Oil Engine Division was moved to Shrewsbury, and the site was then used for making Jet engines of the day, ie, Rolls-Royce Conway, Spey & Tyne. In later years the RB211 engine was assembled here. Extensions to the factory were added in the 1960's, and present day the Rolls-Royce Trent engine is part assembled inside before going down to the new engine assembly site on Wilmore Rd.

Observations for images DP-OLDDAC-01 - 03 :
Moor Lane doesn't look to have been built,
the tall brick built chimney replaced with a modern metal flue type, the immediate surrounding buildings have gone,
the houses in the top left of the picture are still there on Victory Rd.
The houses in the bottom of the picture have all been knocked down to make way for the additional Rolls-Royce offices which are currently on the site.
The field (cricket & football pitch) to the immediate right of the OED building is now another Rolls-Royce building, and the carpark.
The cricket pitch further over is still used today by the Rolls-Royce cricket team, but the running track has gone.
The long building to the right of the golf course is now the rifle range for the Rolls-Royce gun club.
The golf course is now a football pitch, although some of the bunkers are still there.
The bowling greens are still used by the Rolls-Royce bowls club.
The building in front of the bowling greens is still used as the bowls pavilion.
The buildings to the right of the bowling greens are still used today. The male voice choir use one & the other is manily used for club/society meetings, etc..
At the very top of the picture are the Rolls-Royce grass tennis courts. These are still there along with artificial ones.
The rather grand building in the top right has been replaced by the current Rolls-Royce Social Club (bar, dances, etc). Not nearly as nice looking!!

Some information supplied by Michael Bryan, President of the Rolls-Royce Golf Society
This text was published to celebrate the 50th anniversary in 1998.

Rolls-Royce Golf Course.
Rolls-Royce bought the land of the Sinfin Moor Golf Links and leased part of the course to a farmer but retained nine holes, sited where the Moor Lane office block is now, for the use of employees only. The pro's shop and the first tee were adjacent to where the Recreational Society's Welfare Pavilion now stands.

The first professional was an old Derby County footballer, W Tedder, who was followed by Arthur Rivett who came from Markeaton GC. Arthur remained the professional until the course was given over to farming at the beginning of the second World War in 1939 and he subsequently worked as a fireman at Sinfin during the War.

Jack Piggs, a former employee, recalled that as a young lad he remembers a man with a strong resemblance to Stan Laurel playing golf on the course during the early 1930s. Later, in 1936, when Jack joined Rolls-Royce, he found that "Stan" was an inspector in the old No.2 Shop. Jack also recalls that a small pitch-and-putt course was built near the current Sports Hall and it was formally opened by Hon. Joan Gee (the eldest daughter of the Company Chairman, Lord Hives), at that time an England international player, but it only remained open for a few years. This may have been the same 9 Hole course referred to earlier.

Photo selection
To view large versions of any of the photographs below, simply click on a thumbnail.

Images DP-OLDDAC-04 and 05 are used by kind permission of Rolls-Royce. they show the inside of the factory from some time in the 1970's. They show the assembly of the RB211 engine and the Adour engine for the Hawk Trainer.






© Andy Savage © www.derbyphotos.co.uk